Deputy Director: Lebid Viktor
Deputy Director: Protsenko Halyna
Deputy Director: Myakota Iryna
The history of the State Archives of Kherson region dates back to April 2,1921, when Kherson District Special Archive Commission was founded that was under subordination of Mykolaiv Government Archives Commission, since 1922 - under Odessa Government Archives Administration. In November 1925 was founded Kherson District Archives Administration which was reorganized in the Municipal Archive Administration in October 1, 1930. On February 26, 1932 the Archives Administration was reorganized in Kherson State Historical Archives, which since March 5,1938 had been subordinated to Mykolaiv Regional Archives Administration attached to the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs.
Upon foundation of Kherson region in March, 1944, Kherson branch of Mykolaiv Regional State Archives was reorganized in State Archives of Kherson region and on October 4,1958 it was renamed to Kherson Region State Archives. According to the order of the Central Archives Administration attached to the Council of Ministers of the USSR from August 7, 1980 No.67 Kherson Region State Archives were renamed to State Archives of Kherson Region.
The oldest documents are preserved in the fund of the Voskresenska Church of the town of Beryslav in manuscript books which contain copies of tsar orders of the tsar, the Holy Synod, and the archbishop of Kyiv, Halych and Malorussia for the period 1721 to 1734.
In the funds of the secretariat of the governor of Kherson there are lectures, reports, correspondence of governors with provision depart¬ment, Kherson and Odessa landowners, merchants, and with skippers about the preparation and transportation of bread and forage during the war of the year 1812.
In the fund of Kherson Govern¬ment Administration there are orders, reports and correspondence about organization of commission for claims adjustment of the Georgian settlers to the local authorities (1808-1810), and about land regulation for Jewish settlers (1850-1851).
The fund of the Kherson (Novorussian) Government drawing office is of great scholar¬ly interest for the study of the history of colonization of Southern Ukraine. The fund also contains copies of orders of the emperors, the Senate, and the Novorussian Government secretariat; warrants for the granting and division of land to the dignitaries Bezborodko, Kochubei, Trubetsky, Bagration, and Hannibal, and to landowners, foreign colonists, and former Zaporizhzhian Cossacks (1756-1886);documents concerning the lands of the Crimean peninsula (1798—1804), the foundation of the cities of Hryhoropillia (1792), Balta (1797-1798), Yelisavethrad (1752), fund the settlements of Kherson hubernia (1777-1860), the first book about boundaries of Kherson (1782) whit is unique drawing (1796), information about the construction of the monument to the English philanthropist J.Howard in Kherson (1822-1828); autographs of the governor-general of Novorussian duke de Richelieu (1815).
Correspondence between the Ukrainian historian D. Yavornytsky and social worker 0. Rusov (1886) is preserved in the fund of Kherson government district council.
Financial institutions are represented in the fund of Kherson government chamber, where decrees, resolutions, orders concerning the conduction of the population census, the revision of state property; of the Kherson hubernia, and auditorial registers of the state, monastic, peasants, serfs, craftsmen, merchants, colonists, and townsfolk are preserved. The greater portion of the documents of the Oblast state archives is comprised of documents of the modern era(1917-2004). Of special note among the documents of the Ukrainian Revolutionary Period (1917-1920) is the fund of Kherson hubernia executive Committee of working class, village and soldier deputies, which contains information about the support of an autonomous Ukraine and the recognition of the Kherson hubernia as an integral part of the Ukrainian People's Republic.
The funds of district, volost, city, land village revolution committees, of executive committees attached to the working class, of village and red-army soldiers' deputies committees and their subdivisions reflect the process of formation of the Soviet government in Kherson region. The resolutions, commands, Protocols of special authorities throw light upon struggle against Austrian-German occupants, the armies of Denikin and Wrangel, the actions of insurgent armies of Makhno, Tiutiunnyk, and Angel, the organization of agricultural communes and artels and the transfer of confiscated lands and property to them, of the struggles against peasant movements, and the confiscation of church valuables. In the fund of Dniprovskiy povit revolutionary committee are documents signed by M.Kulish, a Ukrainian writer who was the head of the Oleshky town council (1918).
The funds of the committees of poor peasants reveal the carrying out of compulsory collectivization and its consequences, and the liquidation of private village properties.
Information about famines in the Kherson region in 1921-1923, 1932-1933, 1946-1947 is contained in the documents of the funds of Soviet and party institutions, all leves of the Communist Party of Ukraine, and committees and commissions for aiding the starving.
In the funds of oblast executive committee and city executive committees are documents that reflect the administrative and territorial changes in the Kherson region, the restoration of the national economy after the war, the construction of Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Station (1951-1955), and the Kherson Cotton Plant, the largest in Europe (1952-1962); of ship production at Kherson Shipbuilding Plant; the activities of Azov-Syvasky nature reserve; the construction of the Verkhnioinhulets and Krasno-znamiansk irrigation systems.
Among the declassified funds of institution Nazis occupation which are of special note is the fund of the Kherson district commissariat, which contains documents about the fight against the partisan movement, of the resettlement of the "Volksdeutsche", questionnaires, and lists of citizens forcibly sent to Germany.
A unique collection of maps and plans contains almost 2,5 thousand collections of items, among them maps of such cities as Bobrynets, Yelisavetgrad, Nikopol, Odessa, Oleksandria, Kherson.
A special group of documents is preserved in the collection of private funds covering the period 1884 to 2005, among which are documents of scientists, local historians and writers as well as the family funds of the founders of the nature reserve Askania-Nova the Falts-Fein.
The film documents of the archives present television stories about the production of the new combine "Khersonets-7", of the unveiling of the Memorial of Glory and the ceremony of the lighting of the Eternal Flame on the grave of the Unknown Soldier, the unveilingof the Monument "Legendary Cart" in the steppe near Kakhovka; film documents about Heroes of the Great Patriotic War, Heroes of Socialist Labor, and pacesetters of the national economy.
The photo documents collections consist of reproductions showing general view of the city of Kherson, the launching of the first torpedo-boat destroyer, the emblem of the sity of Oleshky (1844, 1893), of a group of Spanish children at the home for children in Kherson (1935), of the construction of the Kherson Cotton Plant, the Oil-Processing Plant, and Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Station; the flora and fauna of the nature reserve "Askania-Nova"; a drama dedicated to the 200th anniversary of Kherson (1978), the opening of the Intenational Festival "Tavriyski Igr" in Kakhovka (1997-1999), of a meeting of the writer O.Honchar with the citizens of Kherson, and of an international literature and arts festival dedicated to Т.Н. Shevchenko entitled "In the new, free family".
The archives' sound recordings and video documents preserve the records of meetings and gatherings dedicated to the 50th anniversary of liberation of Kherson from Nazi occupants (1994), the anniversary of Independence Day in Ukraine (1992), the 500th anniversary of the Ukrainian Cossacks in the Kherson region (1992), the 50th anniversary of the deportation of the Crimean Tatars (1994); recordings of the reminiscences of citizens of Kherson about the Holodomor of 1932-1933, life during Nazi occupation and compulsory resettlement of people for work in Germany, the Rakhrnaninov All-Ukrainian show-competition of young pianists, etc.
Copyright © 2019 - State Archival Service of Ukraine
All rights reserved